I think I may be one of the "internet generation" to start a blog. Until just recently, I wasn't even exactly sure what blogging was. When an auntie of mine informed me a couple of weeks ago as to what a blog was and given the fact that writing has always been one of my favourite hobbies I figured "Why Not?" I spent a week or two pondering as to what I wanted to blog about and unable to decide on just one particular topic or theme I figured I would write about anything at any particular time that I find interesting or compelled to write about. I very well be the only one who ever reads it anyway.

Facebook Universe

Looking back at my life thus far, despite any mistakes not so wise decisions I have made, and will most likely continue to due so being a human being and all, I can say with confidence there is very little I would have done differently. However, that said, if time travel was possible I would go back six and a half years ago to January 2004 or so and buy as many shares as I possibly could from Facebook Inc.
For those who have been living on the moon since that tie, Facebook (www.facebook.com) is quite simply a social networking site that since it's debut in February 2004 has become a worldwide phenomenon used by over 500b million members globally. Started by three college roommates, Facebook membership was initially limited to those who attended the prestigious Boston university, Harvard. Gradually, it's membership began including students attending any University or High School and before long to anyone over the age of 13 years old. n
Although I have been an avid user of the internet for about 12 years or so now, I was one of the last people I know to join the facebook community. To be honest, I figured it was all alot of hype and just the new trendy internet sensation. About two years or so, I gave in and registered on the site and like many, I began to really enjoy it. I have alot of extended family all over Canada that I most likely wouldn't think to call or write and I was pleasantly surprised how nice and simple Facebook made being able to keep in touch. Old friends from school that have either moved away or I have just lost touch with. Again, people that I otherwise wouldn't think nor have the time or way of touching base with, I can "talk" to here and there, look at pictures of their kids, and so on.
On a less personal level, I have also found Facebook to be a great way to network with other people on more of a professional level. Networking is so important now a days. More so, in my opinion, than ever before. I believe that we live in a "It's who you know, not what you know" society, which is unfortunate, however, chances are that isn't going to change anytime soon. Facebook, for many, has proven to be a influential and effective tool for this purpose.
It is without a doubt that Facebook has come an extremely long way a since 2004 and is ever changing it's features, security, etc. Although six years is very short time, as far as the next big trendy thing, six years is a lifetime. One would think the novelty of it all must be wearing thin. However, membership to the site continues to increase steadily. I don't think Facebook is going anywhere anytime in the near future.